Head of Retail
1 day left
- Head of Department
About the Company:
Still a family run business, now a multi-award winning independent footwear retailer. Six stores spread across London – a flagship store on Brick Lane and a new store opening in Earl’s Court in June 2017. We stock footwear and accessories for men, women and children.
With a team of in-house creatives who are able to use London as a backdrop, we make sure to create adaptable, evolving and engaging content.
We are diverse, we are hardworking, we pride ourselves on our heritage and no-nonsense passion for footwear.
We work alongside an ever increasing variety of established brands, providing the latest releases, early product launches, and a roll out of exclusive collaborative promotions, competitions and giveaways throughout the year.
To contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring and review of a business strategy that maximises the retail net profit by driving sales and controlling costs at regional level; to build motivated and high performing teams through the effective leadership and line management to retail staff.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Works with the Managing Director and other Heads of Function to influence the creation and communication of company strategy, business priorities and targets for the all retail stores and ensures there are systems in place to enable the shop managers to receive the information in a timely manner
- Generates ideas about future retail activities to ensure a cutting edge strategy; maintains up to date knowledge of the market place, competitors and trends
- Uses open feedback mechanisms from the operations team with other departments to ensure the integration of the retail strategy with The company’s other activities
- Influences and supports the retail element of the annual budget process ensuring understanding and buy in from the operations team. Constantly reviews financial data and supports the Regional Managers in providing realistic input into the sales budgets
- Takes decisions on matters relating to the day to day retail operation within their defined work area including the strategic planning of resources
- Translates the strategic goals into retail operational plans to achieve the required targeted growth in sales and profit; identifies and optimises promotional opportunities ensuring these are co –ordinated with wider Company promotions and campaigns
- Ensures that the retail operation complies to all policies and procedures relating to Security, Health and Safety; influences any changes necessary to meet statutory requirements, ensuring minimum risk to staff members and the business
- Ensures all new shop proposals meet the required return on sales prior to submitting any recommendations to the Managing Director; all new shop locations must be visited to ensure they will trade effectively and meet the proposed budgets
- Spends time in shops with retail shop teams and customers to understand and identify business critical issues in order to ensure the alignment of tactics and strategies; maintains the corporate identity of the company in all shops and related initiatives
- Takes a lead role in building a strong sales management culture with the operations team; spends time coaching store and regional Managers, identifying skills and opportunities for development; provides advice and guidance on shop manager issues when needed.
- Works with the HR Business department to ensure people management issues are satisfactorily resolved and relevant HR policies and procedures are adhered to. Chairs disciplinary, grievance, capability hearings and appeals as required.
- Proactively manages and reviews the performance and progress of store managers and their teams, sets objectives and targets;
- Instigates the creation of procedures and systems to maximise retail staff recruitment and retention
- Recruits, trains and develops staff ensuring adherence to the company’s HR systems and procedures
- Maintains and constantly develops innovative and cost effective stock generation; monitors stock weekly to achieve bottom line sales budget against monthly targets
- Regularly produces and presents a range of financial/non financial reports for the Managing Director and the Retail Board as required
- The retail operation currently consists of stores in London with a view to open further stores within the London area.
- Has full P&L accountability for all retail stores
Decision Making Parameters:
- Empowered to make decisions on all aspects of the running for a defined group of regions/shops within the guidelines set by the company. Consults with the appropriate departments on all non routine decisions
- Involved in the strategic direction and development of the company, participates in the decision making process for new initiatives, projects and procedures
- Defines the tactics that realises the business strategy for the operations team
Experience and Competencies:
- Extensive business experience including relevant multi-site gained within the fashion and footwear retail shop sector.
- Experienced in managing relationships at a senior level and managing a diverse (in terms of skill base and experience) team of people.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to contribute and successfully deliver against a business strategy
- Must possess a track record of increasing and sustaining sales growth and profitability even in challenging market conditions such as the current economic climate
- Experience of site evaluation
- Must demonstrate a proven ability to motivate, coach and develop people
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written to include report writing and group presentations
- Experienced and knowledgeable in Fashion footwear products.
- A proven track record in delivering sales growth and meeting targets
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Commercially sound with a good understanding of profit and loss accounting and the influence of operating factors e.g. volume v price
- Excellent organisation skills, able to prioritise
- A collaborative team player – concerned with the team success as well as individual performance
- Visible Leadership skills – can motivate others to achieve
- Solution orientated, decisive by nature
- Self-starter – high energy levels
- Positive and Enthusiastic
- Strong professionally – credible with integrity
- Good Listener – will challenge constructively and respond well to feedback
- Mobility – the job entails frequent and extensive travel
- Working knowledge of Retail, H.R and Health and Safety legislation
- Must be able to use MS Office applications – Word, Outlook, and Excel to a competent standard
Apply for Head of Retail
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly