Head of Retail Operations
Our client, one of the most successful International Retail groups, is looking for an experienced International Head of Retail Operations with strong ‘Brick and Mortar’ and Customer Service experience to maintain the development of their growing business both Nationally and Internationally..
This important position is to contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring and review of a business strategy that maximises the retail net profit by driving sales and controlling costs across the business to build motivated and high performing teams through the effective leadership and line management of all retail staff. Ensuring that the successful candidate is providing central support across all regions which includes UK, Europe and North America, accountable for a large budget covering a large sqft 'age of retail space working closely with 3PS.
Key Responsibilities include:-
- Reporting directly to Retail Operations & Customer Service Director as well as other Heads of Function to influence the creation and communication of company strategy, business priorities and targets for the Regional and International Teams and ensures there are systems in place
- Generates ideas about future retail activities and develop Customer Service ‘best’ practice and maintaining up to date knowledge of the market place, competitors and trends
- Uses open feedback mechanisms from the operations team with other departments to ensure the integration of the retail strategy
- Influences and supports the retail element of the annual budget process ensuring understanding and buy in from the operations team. Constantly reviews financial data and supports the Regional Managers in providing realistic input into the sales budgets
- Takes decisions on matters relating to the day to day retail operation within their defined work area.
- Fully responsible for 3PS across elements from Cleaning contractors to consumables and managing Budget requirements across these levels.
- Translates the strategic goals into retail operational plans to achieve the required targeted growth in sales and profit; identifies and optimises promotional opportunities
- Ensures that the retail operation complies to all policies and procedures relating to Security, Health and Safety; influences any changes necessary to meet statutory requirements, ensuring minimum risk to staff members and the business
- Ensures all new store opening and /or refurbishments meet the required return on sales prior to submitting any recommendations to the Retail Operations Director
- Takes a lead role in building a strong sales management culture with the operations team; spends time championing Customer Service with Regional Managers, identifying skills and opportunities for development; provides advice and guidance on shop manager issues when needed.
- Works with the HR Business Partner to ensure people management issues are satisfactorily resolved and relevant HR policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Chairs disciplinary, grievance, capability hearings and appeals as required.
- Proactively manages and reviews the performance and progress of Direct Line Reports across the business, sets objectives and targets; works with Regional Training Manager to develop individual training plans for the team
- Instigates the creation of procedures and systems to maximise volunteer recruitment and retention•Maintains and constantly develops and improves retail communication working closely with Visual Merchandising
- Regularly produces and presents a range of financial/non financial reports for the Stakeholders at Board level with full P&L accountability .
Key Individual Characteristics:-
- Experienced in managing relationships at Stakeholder level and managing a diverse (in terms of skill base and experience) team of people.
- Must be able to demonstrate the ability to contribute and successfully deliver against a business strategy
- Must possess a track record of increasing and sustaining sales growth and profitability even in challenging market conditions such as the current economic climate Experience of site evaluation Must demonstrate a proven ability to motivate, coach and develop people
- Excellent communication skills – verbal, written to include report writing and group presentations
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Commercially sound with a good understanding of profit and loss accounting and the influence of operating factors e.g. volume v price
- Excellent organisation skills, able to prioritise